Window Manager Alternative

I frequently notice that the WM uses a lot of resources, which makes my laptop run quite slowly. Since I am not experiencing this on my PC, I concluded that the app’s poor resource management was due to a lack of “horsepower.” Exist alternatives that could take its place entirely?

2 Likes

You can check for options like Openbox, Fluxbox, or i3 are known for their minimal resource usage and could provide a smoother experience. It’s also worth checking if any updates or configurations for your current WM could improve its performance before making a switch.

1 Like

On Reddit, depending on the laptop, you might need a completely different operating system (OS). Despite what the minimum system requirements suggest, laptops typically need hardware that meets at least the middle of those requirements to run the OS effectively. It’s important to note that Windows 11 isn’t designed to accommodate changes to core components like the Window Manager (WM), Explorer (beyond file management), or the login system. Attempting to replace these could potentially disrupt or damage your installation.

1 Like

The window manager for file managing, similar to explorer.exe?

You should try getting Total Commander. It’s highly efficient and lightweight. While you can’t remove explorer.exe in Windows, you can choose not to use it.