Which Glute Ham Raises in the Texas Method might work the best?

I’ve searched my gym for an exercise that will enable me to perform the glute-ham-raise in order to test the Texas approach. There are two back extension settings, however they mostly work the lower back rather than the hamstrings.

There are two leg curl machines at the gym: a standing Life Fitness machine and a seated one.

Would these be suitable replacements, or should I look at stiff-leg deads or romanian deads instead?

1 Like

At your gym, try the seated and standing leg curl machines to target your hamstrings directly. Alternatively, consider stiff-leg deadlifts or Romanian deadlifts, which work your hamstrings, lower back and glutes. Choose the exercise that feels best and fits your gym setup.

2 Likes

Glute-Ham Raise (GHR) is an option that you might consider.
The GHR specifically targets the hamstrings. You can perform it using a GHD (Glute-Ham Developer) machine by following the following procedure:

1. Set up in a GHD with your knees bent, hips extended, and torso upright.
  2. Straighten your legs while keeping your hips extended.
  3. Continue until your body is in a straight line and parallel to the floor.
  4. Pull yourself back to the starting position using your hamstrings.
1 Like

After thoroughly reviewing the information on the Texas Method and glute-ham raises, I believe the most effective variation would be to perform 5 sets of 10 reps of glute-ham raises on the “Volume Day” of the program. The key benefits of this approach are:

The higher volume of 5 sets x 10 reps will provide a more substantial training stimulus to develop the hamstrings and glutes compared to lower rep schemes.
Performing the glute-ham raises on the Volume Day, rather than the Intensity Day, allows me to focus on proper form and controlled movement without fatiguing myself too much for the heavy squats and other lifts.
Many experts, including Mark Rippetoe, recommend including glute-ham raises or back extensions as supplemental exercises in the Texas Method to further strengthen the posterior chain.

By incorporating this higher volume glute-ham raise variation into my Texas Method workouts, I can effectively target and build up these key muscle groups to support my overall strength and athletic performance. The combination of heavy compound lifts and targeted isolation work is a proven recipe for intermediate-level progress.

1 Like