What’s the Going Rate for a New Alternator

Hey…
I’m in the market for a new alternator and am trying to budget for it. How much should I expect to pay for a replacement, and does the cost vary a lot depending on the car model? Any tips or ballpark figures would be awesome!

The cost for a new alternator typically ranges from $300 to $600, including parts and labor.

Replacing an alternator typically costs between $350 and $400, with parts averaging $100 to $350. If you also need a new serpentine belt, add $20 to $50. Dealerships may charge over $500, so overall costs range from $350 to $900, depending on your vehicle.

When I had to replace my alternator, I was surprised by how much the cost could vary depending on the car model and where you buy it. For most standard vehicles, you can expect to pay between $200 and $600 for a replacement alternator, including parts and labor. If you drive a more common make and model, it’s generally on the lower end, but luxury or less common cars can push the price higher. It’s always a good idea to get a few quotes from different shops and compare prices online, as some aftermarket parts can be cheaper but still reliable. I found that doing a bit of research and shopping around really helped me stay within budget.