What makes The Silence of the Lambs so compelling?

I recently watched The Silence of the Lambs and was blown away. It’s definitely in my top 10 movies of all time. Everything about it stands out—its pacing, acting, story, cinematography, and incredible twists kept me hooked from start to finish. While I often find serial killer movies to be lackluster, this one isn’t just the best in its genre; it’s one of the best movies overall.

The film takes its time, with no scene feeling rushed. It gives the audience ample opportunity to get to know the characters and the world that’s been created.

I like that too. The best part is that none of the scenes feel superfluous or make the plot drag. The movie consistently keeps your attention.

The scenes between Hannibal and Clarice, in particular, are drawn out, which contributes to the perception that Hopkins had more screen time than he actually did. This, combined with his powerful presence, makes him seem to loom over the entire film like a specter.

It’s incredibly well-directed. Check out this short video essay from Every Frame a Painting on “winning the scene.”

It’s a fantastic movie with great characters and even better actors.

I’d add this to the mix:

The underlying tension, among other things. The way almost everyone treats her and women in general in this movie is uncomfortable to watch.