What Exactly is Alternative Music?

Hi guys…

I’m trying to broaden my musical horizons and keep coming across the term “alternative music.” I’m a bit confused about what it actually means. Is it a specific genre, or does it refer to a variety of styles?

I’ve listened to bands like Nirvana and Radiohead, which I think are considered alternative, but I’m not sure what connects them or what other artists or bands fall under this category. Can someone explain what alternative music is and perhaps recommend some key artists or albums to get a better sense of it? Thanks…

1 Like

In the past, a band would be considered successful if a record company selected them for funding and promotion, and we listeners would be forced to hear what the record corporations deemed to be popular. It was not a bad model, after all—a ton of amazing music made its way into our ears. Many bands deviated from that approach in the late 1970s and early 1980s by releasing their own music, playing live frequently, and gaining local fan bases. This is what alternative rock refers to. Without corporate backing equipment, engineering and recording were undoubtedly more cost-conscious, and the lo-fi sound started to be sought after in these genres. “Alternative” rock genres include grunge, hardcore, garage rock, indie, and underground. Naturally, a few of these groups and genres rose to extreme fame, so

1 Like

Alternative music is a broad genre that emerged in the 1980s and 1990s as a diverse and eclectic mix of styles, often outside the mainstream pop and rock. It includes various subgenres like grunge, indie rock, and electronic, and is known for its experimental sounds, unconventional lyrics, and unique approaches to music production. Essentially, it offers an alternative to mainstream music, often focusing on innovation and artistic expression.

1 Like

The term “alternative” describes the genre’s separation from popular culture or mainstream rock or pop. The term’s original definition was more inclusive, referring to performers who were impacted by the independent, do-it-yourself mentality or punk rock movement of the late 1970s.