What Exactly Does the Alternator Do?

Hey everyone,

I know this might be a basic question, but can someone explain what the alternator in a car does? I have heard it mentioned a lot, but I am not entirely sure about its function. How does it affect the car’s performance, and what happens if it stops working?

1 Like

transforms mechanical energy into alternating current, which is an electrical energy.

1 Like

Using an alternating current, an alternator transforms mechanical energy into electrical energy. The alternator’s rotor and stator rotate like magnets to produce alternating electricity. The alternator produces electricity while the engine runs, and it uses that electricity to recharge the car’s battery. This guarantees that there is always sufficient electricity in the battery to start the engine and run other electrical systems.

Hi,
The alternator is an important part of a car. It creates electricity to charge the battery and power things like the headlights, radio, and air conditioning while the engine runs. It changes energy from the engine into electrical powe