What dairy-free evaporated milk alternatives are suitable for vegan diets?

I’m trying to make a vegan pumpkin pie for a friend who’s lactose intolerant, and the recipe calls for evaporated milk. I’ve been searching for a dairy-free alternative that will still give me the same creamy texture without compromising the flavor. Has anyone here tried any vegan substitutes for evaporated milk in their baking? What are the best options that work well in desserts?

If you’re looking to replace evaporated milk in your vegan pumpkin pie, there are several excellent dairy-free alternatives to consider:

Dairy-Free Alternatives:

• Coconut Milk: A popular choice for vegan baking due to its creamy texture and subtly sweet flavor. For best results, opt for full-fat coconut milk.
  • Soy Milk: Soy milk works well as a substitute, though it may impart a slightly different taste compared to evaporated milk.
  • Nut Milk: Almond milk, cashew milk, and oat milk are also viable options for replacing evaporated milk.

Substitution Guide:

When using a dairy-free alternative, you may need to adjust the quantity slightly to achieve the right consistency. Generally, for 1 cup of evaporated milk, use about 1 1/4 cups of dairy-free milk.

Tips:

• Taste and Adjust: Sample your pie as you prepare it and adjust the sweetener or spices as needed to suit your taste.

When it comes to making a suitable vegan substitute for evaporated milk, plant-based milks are here to save the day! You can use soy, nut, flax, and other non-dairy milks as well as powdered versions of these products.

I used condensed milk and evaporated milk interchangeably. Just adjust the sugar in the recipe accordingly.

Could you please share your recipe for Hawaiian Chantilly cake? It sounds delicious!