What can be used in place of Glute Ham Raises in case you don't have the necessary tools?

My quadriceps are more stronger than my hamstrings, as I recently learned, thus I was recommended to perform GHR to help strengthen my hamstrings. I feel like I’m getting charlie horses in my calves whenever I attempt to perform GHR. Should I just attempt doing negatives with GHR, or are there any alternatives to this?

2 Likes

Hey @Carey , if you’re having trouble with those Glute Ham Raises, no sweat! There are other exercises you can do to work those hamstrings just as well:

Try Nordic Curls: They’re like Glute Ham Raises but target both your knees and hips at once.

Good Mornings: This classic move works your hamstrings and lower back. You can use a barbell or dumbbells.

Romanian Deadlifts (RDLs): These focus on your hamstrings and butt. Just bend your knees slightly and lean forward from your hips, keeping your back straight.

Swiss Ball Hamstring Curls: Use a big exercise ball for this one. Lie down, put your feet on the ball, and pull your legs towards your butt.

Single Leg Dumbbell RDL: This one’s good for balance and works those hamstrings too.

Single-leg Deadlift: It helps with balance and strength, working one leg at a time.

1 Like

Calf cramps during GHRs most likely indicate that your hamstrings are weak and are not doing their fair share of the job. To address this, perform workouts that directly target your hamstrings, such as Romanian deadlifts, before GHRs. Negatives are an excellent way to increase strength without cramping. During GHRs, carefully lower yourself down and feel the stretch in your hamstrings. Keep your body upright and your core engaged throughout the workout. Stretching your calves also helps. If cramping persist, try sitting hamstring curls, glute-ham raises on a machine, or Nordic hamstring curls.

As a fitness enthusiast who’s spent years fine-tuning my workout routines, I’ve faced similar imbalances between my quadriceps and hamstrings. When I first tried Glute Ham Raises (GHR), I also experienced severe calf cramps. To address this, I started with GHR negatives, focusing on the eccentric phase to gradually build strength without overstraining. Additionally, I incorporated alternative exercises like Romanian deadlifts and hamstring curls, which effectively targeted my hamstrings without the calf strain. Over time, this balanced approach helped me develop stronger, more resilient hamstrings and improved overall leg stability.