What are your favourite healthy alternatives to rice, potatoes, and bread?

I have experimented with cauliflower and broccoli rice, but it did not quite suit my taste, and simply increasing my vegetable intake didn’t make my meals more enjoyable.
I have checked my local supermarket chain’s website and I will be adding lentils, quinoa, red kidney beans, couscous, and Weight Watchers whole grain bread to my shopping list. I am open to trying new things, I am based in England and some items mentioned are not available at my supermarket, but I have several options to explore now, which is great. I will also be more mindful of portions with bread, potatoes, and rice, and I’ll give cauliflower rice another chance with different recipes.

There are plenty of suggestions in this thread, so feel free to explore them if you are looking for alternatives to these foods.

1 Like

Have you tried quinoa? I know it’s all the rage right now, but it really is a decent substitute for rice in a lot of dishes. There’s also bulgar or lentils.

I’ve also been looking for healthy alternatives to rice, potatoes, and bread. Lentils and quinoa are my go-to options. They’re filling and versatile.

Another favorite is sweet potatoes; they’re a great substitute for regular potatoes and can be prepared in many tasty ways.