What Are the Signs of a Bad Alternator?

Hi guys,

I’m experiencing some issues with my car and suspect that the alternator might be failing. I’m not very experienced with car maintenance, so I’d appreciate some help in identifying the signs of a bad alternator.

What are the common symptoms or warning signs that indicate an alternator might be going bad? Specifically, I’m looking for things to watch out for like unusual noises, dashboard lights, or performance issues.

Any tips or advice would be really helpful. :wink:

2 Likes

Signs of a bad alternator include dimming headlights, a dead battery, electrical malfunctions, strange noises (like grinding or whining), difficulty starting the car, and the battery warning light on the dashboard. Immediate attention is necessary to avoid breakdowns.

1 Like

A bad alternator shows signs like a battery warning light, dim or flickering headlights, and a dead battery. You might notice slow accessories, trouble starting the car, frequent stalling, or odd noises like whining. Also, burning smells from rubber or wires can signal alternator issues.

1 Like

Signs of a bad alternator include dim or flickering headlights, warning lights on the dashboard, a dead battery, electrical issues (like power windows failing), and unusual noises such as grinding or whining. Frequent jump-starts may also indicate alternator problems.