What are the Options Besides Declawing a Cat?

Recently, I’ve been researching ways to ensure my indoor cat’s safety without resorting to declawing. While I understand it’s a common practice, I’m concerned about the well-being of my furry friend and want to explore more humane options.

Instead of declawing, you can try these humane options: provide scratching posts, use nail caps, and regularly trim your cat’s claws. Training your cat to use these alternatives can prevent damage. It’s also important to supervise interactions with other pets and ensure your cat is neutered for better behavior.

Introduce her to having her claws clipped. Take cautious not to cut her wick with the special clippers. Search online for guides. If she’s a kneader like ours, you’ll have to do this for her for the rest of her life.

Instead of declawing, use scratching posts or pads. Offer various styles and textures like sisal rope, rough fabric, cardboard, or logs. Place them near where your cat sleeps or by favorite scratching spots. Train your cat with treats and positive reinforcement, never punish them.