What are some non-rice flour alternatives for pizza dough suitable for celiacs with a rice protein allergy?

What are some alternatives to rice flour for pizza dough that are suitable for celiacs with a rice protein allergy?

I’ve recently discovered that I have celiac disease and a rice protein allergy, so I can’t use rice flours. What other flour options are available for making pizza dough and similar bread-like foods?

It’s been six months since I’ve had pizza, and it’s really frustrating. Every “gluten-free” dough I come across contains rice flour. Any recipe suggestions would be greatly appreciated :heart:.

3 Likes

You didn’t mention your location, but Maseca masa harina is widely available throughout North America (you can find it at Walmart along with gluten-free sausages, etc.).

Maseca is finely ground white cornmeal that binds well without needing additional ingredients. It typically costs around $0.70 per pound.

For an eight-inch pizza crust, mix 1/2 cup of Maseca with half a teaspoon of baking powder, some salt, a bit of oil, and 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt. Shape the moist dough into a pie on a piece of parchment paper using dampened fingers, add your desired toppings, transfer the entire parchment to the oven, and bake at 450°F for 12 minutes.

Alternatively, you can microwave the shaped dough for a minute, add toppings, and microwave for another minute.

Another good option is chickpea flour combined with tomato sauce.

For a more intricate recipe, you can substitute sorghum for rice flour and omit the commercial baking blend.

As far as I remember, half of the recipes in this microwave baking cookbook use only sorghum flour or cornstarch. You can use 1/4 cup of carton egg whites instead of a fresh egg if you prefer to avoid the taste of eggs.

I bake this sandwich bread in the microwave, and you could substitute all sorghum flour for the rice and sorghum flour mix.

2 Likes

If you only have issues with gluten due to celiac disease and can otherwise tolerate wheat, Caputo Fiore Glut is a blend made with gluten-free wheat starch. Personally, as someone with celiac disease, I really enjoy it. It closely mimics wheat in taste, which is understandable since it contains gluten-free wheat starch. However, many people adopt a gluten-free diet as a shortcut for wheat allergies, and consuming this blend can cause severe reactions for those with wheat allergies or a combination of allergies. For example, my sister-in-law has a gluten allergy (not wheat) and she had no issues with the pizza I made using this blend. I use my Ooni oven whenever the weather allows.

1 Like

You could experiment with a mix of amaranth, quinoa, and buckwheat (which are gluten-free), or other “ancient grain” flours! These flours absorb more liquid than regular wheat flour, so you’ll need to adjust for that, but they offer a nice wheat-like flavor.

For cauliflower or vegetable crusts, they’re also a good choice! You’ll need a binding agent, and you can supplement with alternative flours or use eggs and cheese for binding.