What are some better alternatives to Character AI that actually work well?

I feel it is important to acknowledge that the quality of Character AI’s LLM surpasses anything competitors currently offer. While Character AI is not flawless GPT-3.5 probably still performs better, and the alternatives available are somewhat lacking.

Running and training a large LLM is undeniably expensive, but even models as large as 13B (and possibly larger) often fail to deliver engaging interactions that don’t feel repetitive or uninteresting.

To be honest, Character AI itself has its imperfections, and I would describe it as merely “okay.” Its AI nature is still quite evident, and it often reaches its limits fairly quickly.

I am open to suggestions for any alternatives to Character AI that you believe might be better, as I am open to reconsidering my viewpoint.

1 Like

Hey Brian, Some of the best Character AI alternative platforms i know include ChatFAI, NovelAI, Chai AI, Tavern AI, CrushOn AI, Kajiwoto, and Charstar AI , where you can generate engaging conversations with AI characters.

1 Like

CHAI and Replika. Also, ChatGPT is similar, but just in the “AI chat” section, not the “AI character” section - but you can have it act in a specific way.