What are some best Alternatives to Evernote?

Hey guys,

I’ve been using Evernote religiously since 2012, but lately, it’s been a nightmare. The app is riddled with bugs – I can’t log in sometimes, my text gets moved or deleted, and basic functions like copy/paste don’t work properly. It feels like every month I discover a new, worse bug than before. On top of that, the price keeps going up, which is frustrating beyond words. It’s gotten so bad that I’m starting to think the service is intentionally being sabotaged from within.

So, I’m looking to switch to an alternative to Evernote. Here’s what I’m looking for:

1. An app with fewer bugs.
  2. Available on both Windows and Android.
  3. Quick navigation between notes.
  4. Easy organization with good search and folder capabilities.
  5. Ability to export a few pictures (not primarily for file exporting).
  6. Simple note backup options.
  7. A history feature.
  8. Easy customization of notes.
  9. A dark mode.

I don’t really need:

• Collaboration features
  • Task and calendar integrations

Price isn’t a major concern for me; I’m willing to pay around €10/month for a really solid service. I know some of you might suggest trying out different apps, but with so many options out there, I’d really appreciate your opinions and recommendations on good alternatives to Evernote.

Thanks a bunch!

3 Likes

Everyone recommends Obsidian, but it felt more like adopting a new hobby than simply changing my note-taking platform.

I switched to Notion and I’m sticking with it; it’s free and blows Evernote out of the water in terms of functionality and usability.

2 Likes

I wish obsidian could be my solution. It offers excellent functionality, but its iCloud sync renders it impractical for mobile use (at least in my experience). Moreover, it lacks the capability to export a combination of markdown and other embedded file types. Expect vendor lock-in unless you stick strictly to text-based files.

In contrast, Evernote’s cost is justified in my view. It provides web and mobile access, a useful clipper, decent export options, and excellent share sheets. I’ve spent far more than the cost of multiple annual subscriptions trying to adapt other tools to achieve similar functionality.

1. Apple Notes. Those who haven’t peeked at Apple Notes since the horrific Yellow Lined & Corny Font Era will be pleasantly surprised.
  2. Box Notes.
  3. Dropbox Paper.
  4. Notejoy.
  5. Google Keep.
  6. INKredible.
  7. Laverna.
  8. Microsoft OneNote.

The obvious answer, in my opinion, is Obsidian—it offers a plethora of customization options, stores your notes locally on your device in markdown format, which may or may not be easily transferred to other note-taking apps with a great deal of extra work—and is compatible with Windows and Android. As for Obsidian, I have an iPhone, and my only issue with it is that it syncs inconsistently because it is based on iCloud.

I think Microsoft Onenote would serve you well