What are some alternatives to the Glute Ham Raise?

Hello, I recently started the David Laid DUP program. What are the alternatives to the glute ham raise that is included in this program? That isn’t available at my gym.

2 Likes

For Nordic Hamstring Curls, the machine is not absolutely necessary. You can use: to accomplish that.

the extremely low safety bar at a power rack

at the apparatus for lat pulldown

A heavy enough barbell to support your body weight against the power rack

a larger individual at your gym who wouldn’t object if your behind was pressed up against their face

etc.

A few alternatives to exercising could be

Reverse Extension

RDL

Hello and good morning.

Pull-through cable

Inverted hyperextension

2 Likes

Try the Romanian Deadlift. It’s great for working your back, glutes, and hamstrings, and it also helps with hip extension.

2 Likes

I recommend the following alternatives:
Romanian deadlift, good morning, hip thrust, Nordic curl, leg curl, hyperextension, and Swiss ball leg curl.

2 Likes

You leverage the following four alternatives:

• Reverse Hack Squat RDL: Picture this: you are on the hack squat machine, but instead of pushing up, you are hinging at the hips and targeting those hamstrings. It’s like a secret handshake for leg day.
  • Toes Up Machine Leg Curl: If your gym has a leg curl machine, this one’s a winner. Keep your toes pointed up (hence the name) and curl those hammies like you’re wrapping them in a cozy blanket.
  • Toes Elevated Romanian Deadlifts (RDLs): Grab a step or a platform, elevate your toes, and perform RDLs. Your hamstrings will thank you, and your balance skills might even get a boost.
  • Good Mornings: No, we are not talking about your neighbor’s friendly wave. Good mornings involve bending at the hips while holding a barbell across your shoulders. They are like a nod to your glutes and hamstrings.
1 Like

When I began following the David Laid DUP program, I encountered the challenge of not having access to a glute-ham raise machine at my gym. Instead, I found alternatives like Romanian deadlifts, back extensions, or hyperextensions to target similar muscle groups effectively. These exercises can be adjusted in intensity and volume to align with the program’s goals, ensuring I could still progress without the specific equipment. Adapting exercises based on available equipment has been crucial in maintaining consistency and achieving results in my fitness journey.

1 Like

The glute-ham raise is an excellent workout that works the glutes and hamstrings, but most home gyms won’t have the particular machine needed to do it. Fortunately, there are a number of fantastic substitutes that you can perform using just your bodyweight or very little equipment. Nordic Hamstring Curl is the closest alternative to the glute ham raise in terms of movement pattern. You can perform it with your feet anchored under a pad or by having a partner hold them down.