What are some alternative lifestyles to a conventional 9-to-5 job? My spouse is interested in being homeless and busking, but I'm looking for a compromise that falls somewhere in between

What are some ways to live a mobile lifestyle that don’t require a mortgage or staying in one place, involve regular travel, and avoid extremes like train hopping or struggling financially? I really need some guidance on this.

Work festivals or fairs involve a lot of travel and attract people with alternative lifestyles. You’d be living in a tent, but usually in a campground with others in similar situations rather than on the street. You’d likely be low on funds, but not to the point of starving. There’s downtime between shows for busking and other activities. It’s most practical if you have a car to transport your gear, as getting between shows without your own vehicle is challenging, though not impossible if you travel light and plan well.

Skoolie/RV life: I live in an RV, and it’s the best decision I’ve ever made! My parking rent is $550 a month.

Seasonal work can be a lifesaver. During the summer, when I live in my van, I take jobs like farmhanding, fruit picking, or tree planting. Try to find similar work wherever you are—or travel to where the work is, which is part of the nomadic lifestyle. Other options include seasonal jobs at ski resorts, hotels, cruise ships, or even working as a flight attendant. You could also look into FIFO/camp jobs, or if you’re lucky, find a good remote online job. Opportunities like WWOOFing or hotshot/driving gigs are also worth considering.

You could consider WWOOFing or using platforms like Workaway, where you exchange housing and meals for a certain amount of work. These opportunities are flexible and aren’t limited to a specific time frame.

Ranching, truck driving, and traveling construction jobs like tower climbing are great options for a nomadic lifestyle. There’s also plenty of day labor available for those who are willing to work. You don’t have to resort to starving or begging. That said, busking can be quite lucrative if you’re skilled and find the right location.