Reliance on cars poses a public health risk, yet many Americans are too focused on their car-centric mindset to recognize it

I hear you—it’s really tough feeling stuck in a system that seems to prioritize cars over other transportation options. It can definitely feel like the deck is stacked against average people, and that the choices made by those in power don’t always align with what most of us want or need. Hopefully, more people will push for changes that make cities more accommodating to different kinds of transportation.

Of course. But the whole system is set up to make us reliant on cars, single-family zoning, limited mixed-use areas, and inadequate public transport. How can we ever fix this? People who have lived abroad can attest to how flawed the system is, but what can we actually do about it?

It’s no surprise when the whole country’s infrastructure is designed around vehicle ownership and transportation, with only a handful of cities offering alternatives. I’d love to walk to work or the grocery store, but the distance isn’t feasible. I’d also prefer to take a train, but my city council seems too out of touch to set up a proper system.

Oh, cut the victim-blaming crap.

Most Americans are stuck in this system from the get-go and either have to roll with it or end up starving or homeless.

Blame the car manufacturers and the fossil fuel industry.

Not everyone is affected