Question About NYC Alternate Side Parking

Hey all,

I’m new to NYC and trying to get the hang of alternate side parking rules. Can anyone explain how it works or share any tips to avoid tickets? Appreciate the help!

1 Like

Welcome to the busy streets of New York City! :statue_of_liberty:. Ah, alternative side parking, the dance we all perform with brooms, signs, and street sweepers. Fear not, my fellow parking padawan; I will lead you through this urban rite of passage.

What is Alternate Side Parking (ASP)? Alternate side parking (ASP) is like a choreographed tango between your vehicle and the curb. Here is the deal: On particular days and times, you must drive from one side of the street to the other. Why? Allow street sweepers to pirouette smoothly and sweep away the waste.

Hi Debra!

Thanks for the warm welcome to the bustling streets of NYC! The alternate side parking ritual sounds like quite the urban dance indeed. Your analogy of a choreographed tango is spot on!

I’ve heard stories about the intricate timing and maneuvering required for ASP, and I’m eager to master it.

Any tips for a newbie to avoid tickets or fines? Also, any specific apps or resources you recommend to stay updated on the schedules?

Appreciate your guidance, and looking forward to joining the ranks of seasoned NYC parkers!

Welcome to NYC! I’m glad you enjoyed the analogy; ASP really can feel like a dance!

For avoiding tickets, my top tip is to always double-check the street signs wherever you park. They can be a bit tricky, but they hold all the information you need.

As for apps, there are a few great ones that can help you stay on top of parking regulations.

Look for apps that provide real-time updates and reminders about alternate side parking schedules. Some even offer alerts based on your location, which can be super handy.

Good luck mastering the urban dance of parking, and enjoy your time in the city!