No disrespect to NPs, but seriously! Is it like this everywhere? This is the Penn Healthcare System in PA

People used to warn that with universal healthcare, we’d have to “wait 3 months for an appointment like in Canada.” But I’ve made appointments for family members twice now, and the waits were 9 and 10 months. What’s going on? Plus, they even tried to switch their primary care doctor to a nurse practitioner.

It seems like it varies with the healthcare system. I’m covered by two different ones (I pay extra for this).

One of them has appointments that are months out, often get canceled, and has a terrible billing department. They’re supposed to be world-class, but patients are skeptical.

The other one is pretty good. I can get appointments quickly, and the billing process is smooth.

From what I understand, in Canada, your experience can really depend on where you are. Some people, especially in big cities, are very satisfied with their healthcare, while others have a much worse experience.

People were influenced by TV news to believe that, so we never really reformed healthcare, and the situation has only gotten worse. How is managing multiple private agencies and insurance companies better than having a national health fund? Healthcare isn’t “cheap,” but it shouldn’t be this costly. Too many people are profiting off the top without being involved in patient care. Just my two cents. Maybe it wouldn’t be better, who knows? If it’s done poorly, it’s definitely not helpful, but how do we ensure it’s done right?

The shortage of primary care practitioners is a major issue everywhere around the globe, so yeah.

I see it as getting screwed over without even getting dinner first.

This is a widespread issue. Healthcare is healthcare; the payment model doesn’t change the fundamental nature of the system.