Need help honda pilot 2011

I have a 2011 Honda Pilot and I have replaced the alternator four times in the last two years. I just put in a fifth alternator, which is brand new but not OEM, two days ago. The last three were remanufactured. Now, my battery light keeps coming on, which usually means the alternator is bad. I had both the alternator and battery checked two hours ago, and they are both fine. What could be causing this problem? Please help.

3 Likes

While it could still be bad, something else might be going on with your Pilot. Worn wiring, a faulty voltage regulator, or a bad ground connection are all places to look. These can mess with the alternator and cause your battery light to flicker. Best bet? Take it to a mechanic who specializes in electrical systems. They can diagnose the real problem and get you back on the road without the battery light drama.

Based on the search results, here is my response: I’ve done some research on the 2011 Honda Pilot and it seems there are a few common issues owners have reported. One is a small engine noise coming from the middle console area when starting the vehicle - this could be related to the engine or transmission and may require a diagnostic check by a mechanic. Another issue is difficulty changing the language settings from English to Spanish on the infotainment system. The manual indicates this should be done through the “meter setup” menu, but the options may vary depending on the specific trim level. As for opening the rear glass hatch, the manual provides instructions on how to release the latch. There also seems to be a way to disable the horn, though I’d recommend checking the owner’s manual for the proper procedure. Overall, the 2011 Pilot appears to be a reliable SUV, but like any vehicle, it can experience some minor quirks that may require troubleshooting or a visit to the dealer. The key is to refer to the owner’s manual first when encountering any questions or problems.

Check all your connections for corrosion and tightness.

I faced the same issue. Initially, I installed two remanufactured alternators (under warranty), but the Check Charging System light kept flickering persistently; sometimes 20-30 times in just a 10-minute drive. Switching to a new aftermarket alternator didn’t resolve the problem. Trying to replace the ELD (Electronic Load Detector) ended up causing shorts in my audio system, sunroof, and power locks. Upon advice from a local mechanic experienced with Hondas, I replaced the alternator with a genuine Honda part, and that finally solved everything. Apparently, that specific year range of Honda Pilots doesn’t handle aftermarket alternators well; it really needs a Honda alternator to function properly. Now, the Check Charging System light is off, and issues like weakly flickering headlights are fixed. The Pilot is running smoothly again at 127,000 miles. I’m still figuring out how to restore functionality to my audio, sunroof, and door locks, which I suspect is linked to replacing the ELD. Hopefully, this experience helps someone else in the future dealing with similar issues.

I suggest checking the connections thoroughly. Ensure the ground wire is clean at both the battery and where it connects to the body or radiator support. Regarding the frequency of failures, there’s a rocker arm oil control valve near the dipstick that often leaks oil on these engines. This leak can reach the alternator and cause rapid damage. If the leak persists, expect to replace your alternator as frequently as you’re currently experiencing. I hope this information proves helpful.