Need Alternative to Coriander Seeds in Recipe

Hello guys…

I’m in the middle of preparing a new curry recipe, and I’ve just realized I’m out of coriander seeds! Unfortunately, I don’t have time to run to the store. Can anyone suggest a good substitute for coriander seeds? I want to make sure the flavor of the dish isn’t compromised too much.

I’ve heard that cumin might be a good alternative, but I’m not sure if it will give the same taste. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks…

2 Likes

You can leave it out completely when making a fermented spicy sauce. All you need are the peppers, actually. Make sure everything is submerged in the brine and let it rest on your counter for 2-4 weeks before opening. Burp the jar daily to release extra CO2, and once the ferment is complete, combine the fermented peppers with cumin, lime juice, cilantro, oil, and a bit of the fermented brine.

1 Like

To me, coriander has a bit of a citrus flavor, so you could consider using some lemon zest.

As a seasoned baker and home cook with over ten years of experience, I often find myself experimenting with various ingredients and improvising when necessary. Living in San Antonio, Texas, I’ve become adept at making do with what I have in my kitchen, especially when unexpected guests or baking orders come up. In your case, running out of coriander seeds while preparing a curry is a common challenge. From my experience, cumin is indeed a good substitute; it has a warm, earthy flavor that complements many dishes similarly to coriander. Additionally, a mix of caraway seeds and fennel seeds can mimic the unique taste of coriander seeds, ensuring your curry remains flavorful and delicious.