Looking for Gluten-Free Soy Sauce Alternatives

Hi y’all…

I’m on a gluten-free diet and love using soy sauce in my cooking, but I’m finding it hard to find a gluten-free version that I enjoy. I’ve tried a few brands, but they don’t quite match the flavor I’m looking for.

Can anyone recommend good gluten-free soy sauce alternatives? I’m open to both store-bought options and homemade recipes. I’d also love to hear how they compare in terms of flavor and any tips for using them in recipes. :wink:

I have tried a few gluten-free soy sauces and Kikkoman’s Gluten Free Soy Sauce is my favorite so far. It has a rich, umami flavor that’s very close to traditional soy sauce and it works well in my recipes.

1 Like

Store-Bought Alternatives:

• Tamari: Often considered the closest substitute for traditional soy sauce, tamari is made from soybeans without wheat and offers a richer, more robust flavor.
  • Liquid Aminos: Made from soybeans, liquid aminos provide a similar salty umami taste but can be slightly sweeter, making it a versatile all-purpose substitute.
  • Coconut Aminos: Produced from coconut sap, coconut aminos have a sweeter, less salty flavor compared to soy sauce. It’s a good choice for reducing sodium intake.

Homemade Soy Sauce Alternative:

If you’re up for a culinary adventure, you can make your own soy sauce alternative at home. Though it requires some time, the process can be quite rewarding. Many recipes incorporate ingredients like seaweed, mushrooms, and miso paste to achieve a complex umami flavor.

Tips for Using Substitutes:

• Start Small: Begin with a small amount of the substitute to gauge its flavor, then adjust according to taste.
  • Experiment with Brands: Since different brands can vary in taste, try a few to determine which one you prefer.
  • Adjust Other Ingredients: Be prepared to modify other elements in your recipe to balance out the unique flavor profile of the substitute.

Well, you can try using the following:

• Tamari
  • Coconut aminos
  • Bragg Liquid Aminos