Looking for Dog Cone Alternatives – Suggestions?

Hello everyone…

I’m seeking advice on alternatives to the traditional dog cone (Elizabethan collar) for my dog, who recently had surgery. While the cone is effective in preventing him from licking his wound, he seems really uncomfortable and is having trouble eating and drinking. I’ve heard of a few alternatives, but I’m not sure which might be best. Any suggestions or experiences with different types of collars or protective wear would be greatly appreciated…Thanks in advance :wink:

1 Like

Hey breeders
Depending on where your dog’s wound is, there may be better options.
Certain choices may be more tolerable to some dogs than to others.and
To find the best choice for your dog’s individual needs, always visit your veterinarian.

The soft collar was effective for my dog. It was comfortable and allowed him to move freely, which made eating and drinking much easier.

1 Like

ZenPet Pet Recovery Cone for Dogs and Cats – Use with Your Pet’s Regular Collar. This soft, adjustable E-Collar provides a comfortable and secure fit. Check it out here: Amazon.com : ZenPet Pet Recovery Cone E-Collar for Dogs and Cats - Always Use with Your Pet's Everyday Collar - Comfortable Soft Collar is Adjustable for a Secure and Custom Fit (X-Large) : Pet Supplies

Alternative Options:

• Inflatable Collars: These soft, donut-shaped collars offer protection while giving your dog more freedom of movement.
  • Recovery Suits: Full-body garments that cover the surgical site, preventing your dog from licking or scratching it.
  • Soft E-collars: Made from soft materials, these collars provide protection while being more comfortable than traditional cones.
  • Custom-Made Collars: Some pet supply stores offer collars tailored to your dog’s specific needs.

Tips for Choosing an Alternative:

• Consult Your Vet: Talk to your vet to ensure the alternative provides adequate protection for your dog’s surgical site.
  • Consider Your Dog’s Size and Personality: Choose an option that fits comfortably and suits your dog’s temperament.
  • Monitor Closely: Regardless of the alternative, keep an eye on your dog to ensure they can’t access the surgical area.

Remember, the goal is to protect the surgical site while keeping your dog as comfortable as possible.