Laundry detergent alternative

I have heard about using White Vinegar and baking soda for laundry. How much should I use in a load to avoid ruining the colors? And how can I use baking soda to clean without causing damage?

3 Likes

@Francis Just toss your clothes into the machine before attempting these. Frequently, there’s enough detergent residue on the garments themselves and in the washer to wash a few loads. They are clean if, upon removal, they leave no trace of their presence.

A small amount of dish soap—the kind you use to hand wash dishes—can also be used. This is sometimes done by people to “strip” their clothes and get it really clean. Oily stains can also be effectively treated with dish soap.

A different option is bar soap. the most basic one you possess. Grate it like cheese, add a few cups of water and the shavings from about 1/4 of a bar, then microwave it for a little while at a time until it melts. Apply that similarly to detergent.

In an emergency, I’ve used shampoo, but I just use a small amount because it suds up a lot. Use just clear shampoo; do not use creamy opaque varieties.

1 Like

This is how you use baking soda to clean laundry without detergent: Simply mix 1 cup of baking soda with 3 cups of water in a large container, stir until the baking soda is fully dissolved, and pour the solution into your washer detergent dispenser.

For stain removal: Make a pre-treater paste with baking soda and water and apply it to the stained fabric using a clean cloth or brush. Gently rub the mixture into the stain with circular motions, but be careful not to damage or stretch out the fabric. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes before washing it off. For tougher stains, you can leave it overnight.

I don’t know much about vinegar because I’ve not tried it yet . :grin:

2 Likes

To soften textiles and brighten colors, add 1/2 to 1 cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle when doing laundry with baking soda and vinegar. Use 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda in the washing cycle to whiten and deodorize clothing without fading colors. Always begin your testing in a limited region.

Just toss your clothes into the machine before attempting these. Frequently, there’s enough detergent residue on the garments themselves and in the washer to wash a few loads. They are clean if, upon removal, they leave no trace of their presence.

A small amount of dish soap—the kind you use to hand wash dishes—can also be used. This is sometimes done by people to “strip” their clothes and get it really clean. Oily stains can also be effectively treated with dish soap.

Bar soap is an additional option. the most basic one you possess. Grate it like cheese, add a few cups of water and the shavings from about 1/4 of a bar, then microwave it for a little while at a time until it melts. Apply that similarly to detergent.