Is my alternator or battery bad?

My headlights faded and the radio stopped working after I boosted my car and turned on the wipers and lights.

When I pulled over, my car would not start again. Whenever I turned on my headlights after finally getting it boosted, it would instantly die.

Is there a dead battery or alternator?

2 Likes

Ok, based on the provided symptoms, i would likely that it is either that the battery is unable to hold a charge or that the alternator is not charging the battery properly, because the symptoms that you described suggest there is a problem with the charging system of your car, which includes the battery and the alternator. If the battery is old or weak, it may not be able to provide enough power to run all of the electrical systems in the car as required, this could also cause the radio and headlights to turn off. Finally, it is also possible that there is a problem with the wiring in the car.

1 Like

Even when a battery’s charge is low, it can still power electronic devices. Car electronics like headlights and radios typically require minimal amperage, generally between 20 to 30 amps. However, starting an engine is a different story—it demands a significant surge of power, up to 300 amps in a single instance. This amount of power is beyond what a weakly charged battery can supply.

That would most likely be the battery. Have it checked out.

Its probably the battery or the battery connections. Battteries can die when sitting around, but not alternators.

Check the battery connections are clean and tight. You can get the battery and alternator tested at a car parts place. Or get a multimeter and check the battery voltage when the car is off, while someone tries to start the car, and when the engine is running. It should be about 12 to 12.2v when the car is off, slightly less with the ignition on, and about 10.5v when the starter is working. When the engine is running, you should see 13.5 to 14.5 volts, after a minute or so, with the headlights on to create an electric load.