I don’t get how people use AI to help with brainstorming

I decided to give AI a try for brainstorming, giving it the benefit of the doubt. I’m not using it to write my work for me (because that would take the fun out of it), just as a tool to bounce ideas off.

Somehow, it generates these long, eloquent responses, but despite the volume of words, none of them are actually helpful. To exaggerate a bit, if I ask it for ideas about a republic, it’ll give me a lengthy response like: “The republic could be on a continent, perhaps with forests or farmland to drive its economy. It might have a political system with a democratically elected leader, supported by senators or ministries…” and on and on like that, with paragraphs of this vague stuff.

Also, there’s something a bit unsettling about its responses—something feels off.

Once in a while, it asks decent questions, but they rarely relate to the plot or characters. Honestly, I’m not sure why AI was created in the first place.

I’m not sure. I use old-school generators for many tasks because their low-tech nature is beneficial. They rely solely on the information provided by the programmer, allowing for more precise control and use of the output.

I use it for brainstorming by giving it one-word prompts, such as “please generate 25 one-word names for dark magic powers.” I then review the list to find names that resonate with me or spark new ideas.

I find I have the most fun with AI when using it to explore different aspects of my worldbuilding.

For instance, I’ll describe my world and its events, then ask, “You’re a generic worker—what’s your day like here?”

While it’s not as useful for developing ideas I’ve already got, it excels at reminding me of or expanding on areas I’m less certain about but curious about.

For example, I might explore how having too many bird folk in a forest canopy could impact the ecosystem when an industrialized civilization starts settling in. The AI can provide insights that help refine my half-formed ideas.

It’s great for fleshing out small concepts that might otherwise become exhausting to research on your own.

If you asked me to generate ideas for a republic, I’d give you general answers. However, if you specified a “republic in a steampunk setting,” I’d provide more detailed responses.

The effectiveness of AI depends on the clarity of your questions. Be specific, but not overly detailed, and anticipate that the answers might be somewhat cliché or lacking in originality.

Personally, I use AI to generate ideas, opinions, and information about theoretical science topics I’m unfamiliar with, such as “how could a Dyson sphere be feasibly constructed?”

AI text generators operate by following patterns. When you ask a question, they provide answers based on similar ones found in their training data. AI was created because it can process vast amounts of data rapidly and excels at recognizing patterns. Currently, AI is assisting in drug development by quickly testing various ways complex proteins can fold and identifying promising options for specific applications. Additionally, some AIs are more adept at analyzing X-rays than human doctors. However, AI still struggles with creativity, though rapid advancements suggest it may improve significantly in the near future.