I canceled Disney+ and Netflix and now take my kids shopping for secondhand DVDs as part of an experiment

Recently, I wanted to watch House MD, but after seeing the expensive options on Amazon, I reached a breaking point and said, “enough.” I ended up finding a secondhand DVD set of all the seasons online for just £14. The secondhand DVD market is crazy cheap right now. For the past couple of months, we’ve given my kids a budget, and they pick movies to order. We got the Adventure Time box set for £6, Jurassic Park for £2. Any movie, from any publisher. They love it, and now I no longer have to endure Alvin and the Chipmunks. I highly recommend trying this out for any tired parents who can’t face yet another rewatch of Spider-Man and his low-stakes adventures with friends. Has anyone else ditched streaming and gone back to discs?

In the past year, I’ve learned about library DVD loans, which has significantly broadened my access to foreign films to borrow and watch.

My local library is excellent for finding movies that aren’t available on the streaming services I already subscribe to.

Rather than ordering DVDs online, I suggest checking out thrift stores or consignment shops. You can often find DVDs for $1.00 or even less.

I’m happy for you, but I already own enough DVDs that I rarely watch. The convenience of being able to access a vast selection of content anywhere, for the same cost as just being able to watch House wherever you bring your DVDs, is too tempting to pass up.

If your issue is not wanting to rewatch the same movies repeatedly, I don’t see how buying DVDs solves that problem.

However, Criterion Collection DVDs are indeed very well-made.