Hyoscyamine over the counter alternative

HI Peeps

I have been prescribed hyoscyamine for a digestive issue, but I’m having trouble finding it in the pharmacies near me. I’ve heard there might be over-the-counter alternatives available. Can anyone recommend a good alternative to hyoscyamine that I can easily find at a pharmacy? I’d appreciate any advice or suggestions you can provide. TIA

hi peeps my advise is always consult your doctor before taking any medications, even over-the-counter ones. They can recommend the safest and most effective option for your specific needs…

I’m currently taking hyoscyamine, and I believe it works pretty well.

I have a very overactive bowel that squeezes and cramps more than it should, which has led to major problems (diverticula, inflammation, fistula, and resection of both the small and large intestines).

Hyoscyamine is my maintenance medication and one of the two prescriptions I take after my surgery (the other is Flomax because I developed prostatitis when my bowel abscessed, and it takes forever to heal).

Hyoscyamine is good stuff. I don’t have any discernible side effects from it (though early on, it would sometimes make my vision blurry).

I take 0.375 mg twice a day, and it makes a difference in the amount of pain I get from my bowels. If I skip a dose, I notice it.

Librax and Bentyl are other alternatives.

Librax is the best, but my doctor won’t prescribe it to me anymore because it’s addictive. It’s so addictive that I’ve had a bottle for two years that I only use when I’m experiencing more pain than usual that the hyoscyamine can’t curb. It’s good to have as a backup.

Just one piece of advice, whatever you do, don’t start taking opiates for the pain. They may help to some degree, but they cause more trouble with your bowel than they are worth.

Oh, I get it. I’m in Michigan, and medical marijuana helps. I was on 16 meds and in the hospital monthly. Now, just 2 daily and 3 as needed. Only go to the hospital when I’m dying of pain or can’t stop puking. Fun times.