How to tell if the battery or alternator is bad?

I am working out of town and my truck’s battery died. I got a jump start and drove back to the hotel, but the battery died again when I turned off the engine. How can I tell if the problem is the battery or the alternator? I do not want to buy a new battery only to find out it is the alternator that is the issue. KIndly share your thoughts

1 Like

If the alternator fails to charge the battery, the red “battery” warning light typically illuminates when the engine is running. If this warning light doesn’t come on, the alternator is likely functioning properly. Conversely, if the warning light does illuminate, the alternator may be faulty.

Moreover, if you drove for more than a few minutes after jump-starting the vehicle and it ran smoothly, the alternator is probably operational. This is because a vehicle can only run for a limited time on battery power alone after being jump-started.

Consider the age of the battery as well. The manufacturing date is usually stamped on the battery, and batteries typically last around 5 years, though this can vary depending on conditions.

To be certain, it’s best to visit a store that sells batteries and request a free test of your old battery. They can also test your alternator and charging system. Additionally, ensure that your battery terminals are clean and tightly connected, as a poor connection can cause starting issues similar to those of a bad battery.

1 Like

whats up folks my suggestion on this issue is signs can provide a good indication, they don’t always offer a perfect diagnosis. If you suspect a battery or alternator issue, it’s advisable to have your car’s charging system inspected by a mechanic. They can conduct tests to identify the failing component

1 Like

When I saw see the red battery warning light I Turned off non-essential electronics like the air conditioner and radio to conserve battery power.

hallo paul as a mechanic If your car starts smoothly following a jumpstart, it likely indicates a dead battery and a functioning alternator but if it persists consult for diagnosis on both items

An effective way to determine if it’s your battery or alternator that’s failing is to connect jumper cables from a running vehicle’s battery to yours. After a few moments, try starting your vehicle. Once it’s running, remove the jumper cables. If your engine stalls, it’s likely that your alternator is bad.