How much does your choice of accommodation impact your overall travel experience?

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is “just a place to sleep” and 10 is “an essential part of my holiday, chosen for its location, experience, services, or amenities,” where do you usually fall for most trips, and why? Let’s exclude trips like all-inclusives where the hotel is the destination itself.

For me, I typically lean closer to a 4—location and ensuring the place isn’t unpleasant are my main criteria besides price. However, I do appreciate it when the hotel offers nice amenities, like a pool or rooftop, so I can relax before heading home. In those cases, I might rate it closer to a 7.

When I was younger, I only needed a place to sleep. Now that I’m older, I really value coming back to a pleasant environment. I used to be a 3, but now I’m more like a 6 or 7. I’ve gotten soft!

I’m a solid 9 when it comes to lodging. I want my accommodation to be a reliable base for my trip. I often leave things in my room and make friends with the staff. I use hotel services like lounges and cafes for journaling and photo editing, and I appreciate a good breakfast and additional food options. I also rely on the front desk for help with my trip and am happy to pay for services that ease my concerns, like laundry or bookings.

Personally any place with good meals and a quiet environment is a 9 for me

I also rate my experience based on this, I prefer a place where I feel my property is safe and not tampered with