How do I know if it's the Alternator or the Battery?

I left the interior light on two weeks ago in my 2000 Kia Sephia, draining the battery. After a friend gave me a boost, everything seemed fine. My mechanic checked the alternator and said it was under 14 volts and would need replacement eventually. Despite this, the car worked fine for two weeks. It would not start again this morning, so I called AAA for another boost. The technician said the problem was the battery, not the alternator because the car kept running after being boosted.

I am not knowledgeable about cars, so I am asking for advice. Is the issue with the alternator or the battery? I want to make sure before buying a replacement.

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Hi Paul… Based on the symptoms described, it’s more likely that the issue with your 2000 Kia Sephia lies with the battery rather than the alternator. The fact that the car operated normally for two weeks after a boost suggests the alternator was likely charging the battery adequately during that period. The recent failure to start could be attributed to the battery losing its ability to hold a charge effectively, especially after being deeply discharged when the interior light was left on. The AAA technician’s observation that the car continued to run after being boosted further supports the likelihood of a battery issue. Therefore, replacing the battery would be a prudent first step. If problems persist after replacing the battery, further investigation into the alternator and other electrical components may be necessary.

2 Likes

Hey Paul, Based on the symptoms described, the issue with your 2000 Kia Sephia is likely related to the battery rather than the alternator. Leaving the interior light on drained the battery, and while a boost temporarily restored functionality, the recent failure to start again suggests the battery may no longer hold a charge effectively. The fact that the car continued running after the boost, as noted by the AAA technician, indicates the alternator is likely functioning sufficiently to keep the car running once started. Therefore, replacing the battery is recommended as the first step. If problems persist after replacing the battery, further inspection of the alternator and other electrical components may be necessary to ensure the entire charging system is operating correctly.

2 Likes

Start the car and turn on the headlights. Rev the engine a bit. If the headlights brighten noticeably, it’s a sign the alternator might not be functioning correctly.

1 Like

If your car is losing power and your dash lights are dim, you should start it and disconnect one of the battery wires. If the car continues to operate, the problem is likely with the battery; if not, the alternator is to blame.