How crucial is your choice of lodging to your overall travel experience?

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 means “it’s just a place to sleep” and 10 means “it’s an essential part of my trip and I choose my lodging specifically for its location, experience, services, or amenities,” where do you typically fall on most trips and why?

(For the sake of this discussion, let’s exclude trips like all-inclusives where the hotel itself is the destination.)

I usually fall closer to a 4, prioritizing location and ensuring the place isn’t subpar, along with price considerations. However, if the hotel has nice amenities like a pool or rooftop, I tend to lean towards a 7, especially at the end of a vacation when unwinding before heading home is nice.

Just to clarify, a 10 doesn’t necessarily mean a fancy or expensive hotel. It could also be a place with a great location, like a view of the Blue Mosque, a private lagoon in southern Thailand, or somewhere with essential comforts like water and AC in hot climates.

When I was younger, I only needed a place to sleep. But as I’ve gotten older, I really value coming back to a comfortable environment. I used to rate my lodging needs as a 3, but now I’m more around a 6 or 7. I guess I’ve gotten a bit soft.

I’m a solid 9 when it comes to my lodging. I want my accommodations to be a reliable cornerstone of my trip; I return to it every day, and regardless of what happens, I know I can count on the hotel’s services. I often leave items in my room and build relationships with the staff.

I make full use of amenities like lounges and cafes. I like to journal and edit photos while traveling, and these spots are much better than being cooped up in my room.

A good breakfast is important to me to kick off each day, and I appreciate having options for more food later if nearby places aren’t up to par.

I also depend on the front desk and concierge for advice on my trip. At this stage in my life, I’m happy to pay for services that alleviate my concerns, like doing laundry or securing reservations at hard-to-book places.

I used to think that a bed and shower were all that mattered as long as everything was clean. But after working for a five-star hotel and experiencing their top-notch travel program, I’ve found it hard to go back to even upper mid-tier hotels. The difference is striking—the beds are much more comfortable, the staff is exceptional, and the amenities are fantastic. From reliable pools and kid-free environments to high-quality bars and restaurants, the experience is just so much better. Having staff who go above and beyond to ensure your stay is perfect is a luxury I’ve come to appreciate deeply. While I still believe that for most travelers, the cost may not be justified, once you’ve experienced the true comfort of five-star hotels, it’s tough to settle for anything less. The quality really is night and day.

For me, the choice of accommodation largely depends on the destination. For instance, in Morocco, I preferred staying in traditional riads in the old town for a more authentic experience, even if it meant paying more. Similarly, in Kyrgyzstan, I opted for a yurt over a guesthouse despite the higher cost, as I wanted the unique experience of staying in a yurt.

In contrast, when staying in cities where the accommodation doesn’t offer a cultural experience, I prioritize factors like location, cleanliness, and price over comfort or aesthetics. For example, if I can find a well-located room in Ubud for $10 a night, I’d choose it over a $35 room in a fancier hotel, as long as the basic room meets my needs.

For me, a hotel is primarily just a place to sleep, but I do prefer my surroundings to be nice, cozy, and clean. Location is more important to me than the hotel’s amenities. I enjoy staying at boutique hotels and usually avoid budget options unless they have strong reviews. I’d rate myself around a 4 or 5 in terms of how much I value lodging quality.