Help with Alternate Side Parking Rules

Hey all,

I’m new to the city and struggling with this whole alternate side parking thing. Can someone break down how it works and any tips to avoid those dreaded tickets? It’s driving me nuts!

3 Likes

Alternate side parking can be tricky. Basically, certain streets have parking restrictions on different sides on different days to allow for street cleaning. Check the signs on your street for the schedule. Move your car to the opposite side or another allowed spot during those hours. Setting reminders on your phone can help you avoid tickets.

3 Likes

It’s not a good idea to park a leased car on the street. If you need to park on the street, consider getting an older, less valuable car, or paying for a garage space.

As for parking rules, you can’t just double park on a smaller street and leave your car there. That’s not allowed, and there are no formal regulations backing it up.

Also, you can’t sit in your car during street cleaning and avoid moving it. You’ll need to move your car so the street cleaner can get through.

Overall, I strongly recommend avoiding street parking. It requires about 1.5 to 2 hours of your time twice a week.

2 Likes

Dealing with this might be even more exhausting than you expect. If you’re thinking about leasing a car rather than buying a used one, it’s a good idea to look into renting a garage or parking space. It can make things a lot easier.

1 Like

Don’t stress too much about figuring out all the parking tips and tricks right away. Spend a few weeks figuring things out for yourself—get to know your neighborhood, figure out what challenges you personally face.

I want to ease some of your worries. Parking a car on the street in NYC isn’t unethical as long as you follow the rules. Just don’t become the type of person who complains when the city takes away free parking for things like bike racks, public spaces, or road repairs. From what you’ve shared, I don’t think that’ll be an issue for you.

Remember, hundreds of thousands of people park on the street every day. You can do it too. Just be sure to move your car before street cleaning times and make adjustments as you get into your routine. If you’re in North Brooklyn, where street cleaning is once a day, you’re actually in a pretty easy spot. Some areas are much tougher.

Lastly, you’ll only get a boot for unpaid parking tickets. It’s annoying to get a ticket during street cleaning, but everyone in the city deals with a few. Very few people end up with a boot.