Happy Friday Fitness

Happy Friday, wellness crew!

What’s everyone got planned for the weekend?

Any fitness goals or activities lined up?

Trying something new, doing something fun, or just taking a well-deserved break?

I just completed day 5 of my new fitness routine, and I’m proud of myself for sticking with it! The routine feels manageable, and I’ve set modest goals for now—15-30 minutes for each workout, totaling about 30-45 minutes per day. Yesterday I worked on legs and glutes and thought it might have been too easy, but I really felt it this morning! I did lighter cardio and yoga today, and while stretching my piriformis and glutes on the floor, I thought to myself, “Yeah, I feel good!” so that was a nice boost.

Tomorrow I’ll do power yoga, and Sunday will be a “rest” day with just 15 minutes of the morning yoga routine I’m trying to practice daily. A few years ago, I did this routine so regularly that I could remember it without the video, which felt quite liberating. My goal is to reach that level of consistency again.

I managed to get in a solid 6 miles this morning after putting the baby back down. It was already 80 degrees by 8am, so it was quite hot. We’re experiencing another heatwave, and while I’m looking forward to more beautiful outdoor runs, it’s tougher than I remembered. It’s amusing how my memory seems to block out the difficulty.

I’ll complete the remaining 4 miles of my 10-mile goal later this evening. I dislike breaking up my runs, but that’s the reality with a baby.

After the Portland marathon, I’ll probably take a break from racing. I’ve been in continuous marathon and ultramarathon training for two years now, and I think I need some time off.

Another week is complete. This morning’s workout took about 1.5 hours because I kept getting distracted by my phone. I did a solid climb ride, 5-3-1 shoulder presses, and a grueling 20-minute arms and shoulders routine that left me in pain. I enjoy ending the week with upper body workouts—it’s a bit of vanity, but it’s nice to look good in the mirror, which motivates me to push through leg days.

I’m really pleased with my current body fat levels. I’m back to where I was when I was posting peak condition photos, and it feels great. Now, I just need to maintain this level and be patient as I work on improving my barbell numbers.

My rest week due to illness has been incredibly frustrating. I’m eagerly looking forward to moving my body again—there’s not much more to say about it!

We’re planning a great weekend ahead. We’re taking the kids to our favorite lake in the Sierra Nevada. My parents bought a cabin there a few years ago, and it’s been such a blessing for our family. I take the kids there often, and they’ve developed a strong connection to the lake, much like the bond I had growing up, visiting once a week every summer. It makes me really happy to be there with them.

With the triple-digit heat in the foothills, it will be wonderful to escape to a place that’s about 20-25 degrees cooler.

Today, I had my cycle class and core strength class, followed by a swim, and then I relaxed in the jacuzzi and sauna. With some new padded bike shorts and a much-needed bike seat adjustment, I think I can keep this up. Next week, I’m planning to try a new class, possibly aqua Zumba, as I’ve heard great things about it.

This weekend, my boyfriend is visiting, and tomorrow he’s taking us to the city for the day. We’ll visit the children’s museum, take a stroll, and hopefully tire the kids out enough to get them to bed early.