Get rid of open showers

I’ve traveled extensively this year and have noticed a trend that I find frustrating. Out of the ten hotels I’ve stayed in, all the nice 4-5 star establishments have switched to these odd open-concept shower stalls. Sometimes they have partial walls, but other times it’s just a slanted floor with a shower head in the corner of the bathroom.

Who asked for this design? Why are showers being turned into modern art? I prefer a fully enclosed shower with four walls. I don’t want to be cramped in the corner, trying to avoid spraying water all over the bathroom where I’ll spend the next 20 minutes getting ready and trying not to slip on puddles. I also don’t want to be sprayed while brushing my teeth because my partner is struggling to find the right shower angle.

This concept is terrible—get rid of it.

I’ve noticed several upscale hotels lately where the bathroom is only separated from the main room by glass partitions, and often the glass isn’t even frosted. It feels like it was designed by someone who’s never actually used a bathroom. Who comes up with these layouts?

On my last trip to Lisbon, the hotel took things to an extreme with a fully transparent bathroom—glass walls and all, so everything was visible from the room. Not sure what the reasoning was behind that.

I completely agree. I don’t want my shower to feel drafty or cold. I prefer being enveloped in warm steam within an enclosed shower stall.

I was in a company meeting recently, and two of my colleagues ended up sharing a twin room with a bathroom like that. It caused quite a stir at the reception. It’s also a bit awkward if you’re traveling with family; nobody wants to deal with that kind of bathroom setup when traveling with their mom or kids.

One theory I’ve heard is that these bathroom designs might be intended to encourage friends travelling together to book separate rooms rather than share. Personally, I wouldn’t even want a bathroom like this with my partner; I value my privacy too much.