For the experienced travelers on this sub: how and when do you usually book your accommodation?

Hi everyone! I’ve traveled for 1-2 weeks before and always booked all my accommodation in advance. However, I’m planning a trip to Italy next year for 1-2 months, which will be my first time traveling for more than two weeks.

Do you have any advice on booking accommodation? Is it feasible to just book the first hostel before the trip and then find other places as I go when I’m ready to move on?

Travel has changed a lot since COVID. I used to book everything last minute, but now I plan a few months ahead.

I just returned from Italy, where I booked my hostel in early February. The price was €60 a night then, but two weeks before my trip, it jumped to €100 a night for an 8-bed dorm. I recommend booking with free cancellation in case your plans change.

I think you can try reaching out to people who already live there through social media and see if they can sugst some good locations

Personally I make bookings way earlier when prices are at off peak, this enables me to save a lot in the long run

If you are going to be there long I would not suggest booking in advance as you might later find the place uncomfortable