Could someone please explain the alternate side of the street parking rules in New York City?

Hey Pals,

I’m relatively new to New York City and still trying to wrap my head around the alternate side of the street parking rules here. It seems like quite a maze! I’ve read some official information online, but I’d love to hear from locals who have practical experience dealing with this.

I’m particularly interested in gaining insights on:

1. Schedule and Timing:
  2. Exceptions and Holidays
  3. Tips and Tricks
  4. Penalties and Enforcement
  5. Resources:

I appreciate any advice or personal anecdotes you can share. Understanding this would make my life a lot easier in the city!

Thanks in advance…

1 Like

Parking in NYC is a problem? Moving your vehicle for street cleaning on specific days, typically from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., is known as alternate side parking, or ASP. Keep an eye out for signs that say “No Parking” on particular days. On holidays, ASP regulations do not apply; for a list, see the NYC311 app.

See the Park NYC app to pay for parking, set reminders, and view the ASP regulations. You may be able to save a seat if you get to know your neighbors. Pay attention to the rules to avoid expensive tickets. Check out the NYC Department of Transportation’s website or the NYC311 app for additional information. Recall that New Yorkers are amiable; provide a hand to one another!

Alternate Side Parking (ASP) rules are for street cleaning. Signs with a “P” crossed by a broom show the days and times you can’t park. When ASP is active, you can’t park on the side of the street that is being cleaned.

You can’t park on the street side that is being cleaned.