Can I drive 4hr with faulty alternator?

I was planning to make the roughly 4-hour (215-mile) trip home for the weekend, but I keep having to jump start my car, and I suspect this is because of a malfunctioning alternator.

The dealership stated that they do not know when they will look at and fix my car because their schedule for tomorrow is filled. When I asked over the phone, they gave me an inspection price of 700–900 + 85 to replace the alternator. It will not be an issue if the cost is between $400 and $500, and they can fix it by tomorrow.

I was wondering if driving for four hours with a damaged alternator would be safe or unsafe, as my dad stated he can help replace the alternator if pricey.

I can’t definitively say whether you can drive for 4 hours with a faulty alternator,

because it depends on several crucial factors:

Battery Health: The condition of your car battery is key. A fully charged, healthy battery can keep your car running for a while even without the alternator. However, a weak or old battery will drain quickly, potentially leaving you stranded.

Severity of Alternator Failure: A completely dead alternator means your battery is on borrowed time. If there’s some partial function left, it might extend your driving window a bit.

Electrical Load: The more electrical components you use (headlights, wipers, radio, etc.), the faster your battery will drain. In the daytime with minimal electrical use, you might stretch it further.

The Risky Reality:

Here’s the thing – even if you manage the 4-hour drive, it’s a risky gamble. A faulty alternator can leave you stranded on the side of the road, potentially in an inconvenient or even dangerous location. Here’s why it’s not ideal:

Safety Hazard: A dead car battery can lead to losing power steering and headlights, increasing the risk of an accident.
Tow Truck Trouble: Getting a tow truck in the middle of nowhere can be expensive and time-consuming.

The Better Option: Play it Safe

While the temptation to tough it out might be there, getting your alternator replaced before your trip is the smarter and safer option. Consider these alternatives:

Schedule a Repair: Take your car to a mechanic and have the alternator replaced. This might take some time, but it ensures you have a reliable vehicle for your trip.

Call AAA (or roadside assistance): If you have roadside assistance, they might be able to jump-start your car or even tow it to a mechanic for repair.

The Final Word:

Driving with a faulty alternator is a gamble, and the potential consequences outweigh the risks. For your safety and peace of mind, prioritize getting your alternator fixed before hitting the road.

Done that, been there. After two and a half hours, I had to turn on some lights. We managed to charge the battery in the garage after being towed there, and we arrived home after an hour.

What level of quality is your battery? Verify that it has a full charge. You won’t have four-way flashers and there won’t be any notice before something serious, like the fuel pump relay refusing to stay closed, so be mindful of “escape paths” to the shoulder. Carry a decent flashlight, perhaps. Have you got AAA?

When an alternator fails, the car battery drains quickly. Generally, a car with a bad alternator can be driven safely for a short distance, but only until the battery’s charge is depleted. This might be just enough to get you to the nearest service station.

A few months ago, my alternator died to the point where the car was completely without electricity, and when I tried to put it in park and then back into drive, the shift interlock would not come loose.

1 Like

It is not advisable to drive the 215-mile, 4-hour trip with a faulty alternator.

This is the reason why:

1. Safety Concerns: A failing alternator can cause complete electrical system failure, leading to loss of power steering, brakes, and engine.
  2. Potential for Further Damage: Continuing to drive will drain the battery, potentially damaging it and causing other electrical issues.
  3. Stranding Risks: A dead battery could leave you stranded on the highway in a dangerous situation.

It is just not worth the safety concerns to undertake the journey given the distance and known alternator issue.

Your best alternatives are as follows:

1. Have the dealership inspect and replace the alternator as soon as possible.
  2. Consider having your dad help you replace the alternator locally if more cost-effective.

The risks of traveling a long distance while operating an electrical system that is malfunctioning are far worse than the temporary annoyance.

The most important thing should be your safety.