Are there better alternative to declawing cats

3 Likes

Regular claw trims are a win-win for you and your cat! They prevent injuries to both you and your furniture. Use specific cat nail trimmers to avoid painful splitting of the claws. How often you trim depends on your cat’s activity level (indoor vs. outdoor cat).

3 Likes

Regularly trimming your cat’s nails can help prevent them from snagging on furniture and causing damage. You can do this at home with nail clippers designed for cats, or ask your veterinarian for help.

2 Likes

My kitten liked playing with the foil that I put on my desk to keep him from jumping on it. It probably made him want to go up there even more.

1 Like

Yes, there are several alternatives to declawing cats that can help manage their scratching behavior without resorting to this invasive procedure. Declawing is a major surgery that involves amputating the last bone of each toe, which can lead to pain, behavioral issues, and long-term physical problems for cats. Easy way is just by trimming your cat’s nails every couple of weeks and this can reduce damage caused by scratching. Use the cat specific nail clippers and ensure you do not cut into the pink part inside the cats nail.