A "Cheap" Substitute for Factset and Bloomberg

If this isn’t the right sub for a query of this nature, I apologize.

I am looking for a database that has a variety of market and stock market data points for my personal use, but because I am obviously not wealthy, spending more than $10,000 annually seems a bit out of the question. Is there a less expensive option?

“Cheap” refers to comparatively inexpensive; anything under $50–$100 per month is reasonable when compared to other expenses.

2 Likes

It is difficult to compare Bloomberg/Factset to low-cost providers because both companies combine and distribute a large amount of third-party data. So it all depends on the datasets you’re looking for.

The common similarities are to S&P Capital IQ and whatever Thompson-Reuter’s products became once the LSE acquired them. But I believe those systems are in the same price range as Bloomberg and Factset.

There were a lot more participants in this market 15 - 20 years ago, but many of them consolidated or were eliminated by competition. And there are several fragmented data sources that are low-cost but designed for retail traders and investors.

1 Like

You have options for market and stock data that are not too expensive. Check out platforms like Yahoo Finance, Alpha Vantage, or even the free versions of sites like TradingView or Investing.com. They provide a variety of data points that may meet your requirements without costing an arm and leg. Also, look at brokerage sites like Robinhood or Webull, which frequently offer free access to market data as part of their services.

1 Like