08 Honda Accord Bad Alternator or Battery

Hi, I would like to know if my alternator is failing. I have 141k miles on my 2008 Honda Accord. We have not driven the automobile in over six months, but it is in excellent condition. When I went to start the automobile last week, it would not start. I had to jumpstart it, and that day it ran perfectly. When I attempted to start it again three days later, it would not start. I replaced the battery about three thousand miles ago, and the car has only been driven for twelve months. Any advise would be very appreciated as I am not sure how to determine whether the alternator is faulty.

1 Like

You mentioned signs that could point to an alternator problem, such as the car needing a jump start yet operating normally for a while.

I advise to you to this:

1. Have the battery and alternator tested at an auto parts store. They can do a load test on the alternator.
  2. Check the alternator belt for wear or looseness.
  3. Use a multimeter to check the voltage at the battery while the engine is running - it should be 13.5-14.5V if the alternator is working.
  4. If the alternator is failing, it will need to be replaced to prevent dead batteries.

Let me know if you have questions!

1 Like

The battery, which gradually drains over time, is my guess.

Shorter excursions won’t allow the alternator to fully recharge the battery, which will eventually lead to another flat battery.

You can check the battery voltage with a multimeter if you have one. A good battery should have about 12 volts when the automobile is not running. When it is operating, the voltage should be 14.4 volts.

When the automobile is idling, anything less than 14.4 volts would suggest a defective battery.

1 Like

If 2008 Honda Accord has a bad alternator or battery. it, won’t necessarily prevent the car from starting initially, but it will eventually drain the battery and leave you stranded.

I guess that it is a battery problem. If a vehicle runs perfectly for a day after jumpstarting it, then it wouldn’t be an alternator problem since the alternator was clearly charging the battery during the specific day